The University of Pretoria’s Department of Mining Engineering, in conjunction with VBKOM, developed a short learning programme in 2019, titled: Open Pit Mine Planning and Design.
On the 24th of February 2020, George Olivier, Director of VBKOM, kicked off the short course in London.
The open pit mine planning course ran over five days and covered all aspects of Mine Planning, including:
- The importance of geological models,
- Mineral resource estimation and block models,
- And the generation of Mineral Reserve Statements.
Topics of the course included:
- The Mining value chain,
- Planning cycle,
- Open pit optimisation,
- Pit design,
- Equipment selection and optimisation,
- Production schedules and Mining Cost.
Emphasis was placed on a holistic approach to Open Pit Mining, as well as the consideration of the Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG) and Economic impacts that mining has on communities and Africa as a whole. Further emphasis was given to ensuring that mining operations are always aligned to the strategic and tactical business objectives.